As a modern metrosexual guy I am spending more and more time looking after my skin and grooming has become a bigger part of my life over the past few years. Even though we all hate to admit it, guys often borrow products from their other halves and why should the girls have all the fun when it comes to the latest beauty trends and technology?!
Here are 10 products I often ‘steal’ from Josie, some much to her frustration, some she is only hearing about now!
1. Nair Hair Removal
- ‘Manscaping’ has definitely become more popular over the past couple of years with more of us keen to be preened to perfection. There are lots of fantastic body groomers on the market now, but when in a rush or travelling I often find hair removal cream to be a great quick fix. The Hagrid look is definitely not attractive and whilst I prefer having a bit of chest hair as opposed to none, Nair does the trick if you are in a tough spot without that bodygroomer. Note – be sure not to get any on your nipples, it burns like hell!
2. Palmers Cocoa Body Scrub
- This stuff just smells amazing and makes your skin feel incredible. It not only exfoliates but is also moisturising; so after a scrub & shower you are left feeling soft and squeaky clean. I love using this on holiday and especially after a day on the beach.
3. L’Oreal Paris Pure Clay Face Masks
- Josie was sent these recently and I couldn’t wait to get my hands on them; if you’ve read my blog before you know I love a good clay face mask. L’Oreal recently launched this trio and you can use them individually or if you are feeling more adventurous all together, focusing each mask on a particular area of the face – the holy trinity of face masks.
- There is a definite taboo around men using face masks so if you are new to this world these are a great starting point, easy to apply and affordable, plus, they actually work!
- My personal favourite is the green, purity clay mask. The Eucalyptus works deep into the pores to purify, perfect for oily skin.
- All 3 have their particular strengths so choose which one solves your skins problems and be sure to get creative!
4. Body Shop Tea Tree 3-in-1 Wash Scrub Mask
- The Body Shop recently launched a Tea Tree focused range and this scrub/mask is a gem of a product. As per its name it’s the jack of all trades and can be used as either a face mask, face wash or exfoliator depending on your needs.
- I like using this in the morning if I’ve had a minor breakout, the tea tree smell is soothing yet also has awakening powers, not a bad scent to wake up to!
- Perfect for the gym bag or travel wash bag and effective on all fronts.
5. Clarins Relax Bath & Shower Concentrate
- After a hard gym session or a game of rugby, this bath gel is an absolute saviour. Like all Clarins products it smells amazing and I tend to use a small squeeze per bath to relax and sooth my muscles – Josie hates me borrowing this as we tend to get through quite a few bottles!
6. Clarins Booster – Energy
- Clarins recently launched their ‘Booster’ range, a simple yet innovative concept for boosting your moisturisers. You add a couple of drops of this magic potion to your everyday moisturiser to infuse with various minerals and vitamins.
- I tend to steal the Booster – Energy from Josie after a late night out (often in the doghouse..!) as it’s focused on fighting fatigued skin using Ginseng extract – I’m not going to go all sciencey on you but the fact is it leaves the skin looking much brighter and healthy, even if you might only have had 3 hours sleep…
7. Masque Bar Hydro Gel Eye Patches
- Along similar lines to item number 6 in this list, this product is perfect post boozy/late night out.
- I would hazard a bet that for many guys, using gel eye patches could be seen as a step too far.. but if you’ve already experimented with face masks why not give those eye-bags a much needed seeing to.
- There are many decent gel eye patches on the market but I particularly like the Masque Bar ones, they come in a tidy pot with 30 sets and an easy to use spatula to help with application – straightforward and no messing around.
- The snail extract (cue gasps..) helps address dark spots and puffiness beneath the eye and long term can help diminish signs of ageing – ultimately use these when required, just before bed when ‘Netflixing’ – 10 minutes usually does the trick.
8. Origins ‘High-Potency Night-a-Mins’ night renewal cream
- Origins is a brand that I’ve always nicked from Josie as all the products smell epic and are seriously natural. Only this year I’ve started looking after my skin more every evening, applying a moisturiser pre-bedtime and this night renewal cream is a great product. A small amount goes a long way and leaves skin refreshed and bright come morning time – definitely a ‘hero’ product of mine ever since I sneaked the pot from Josie’s ever expanding beauty cupboard (s!).
9. This Works ‘Deep Sleep’ Pillow Spray
- If you are anything like me when you go to bed, and your mind wanders, sometimes it can take what seems like an age to drift off. This pillow spray is a magical product, using lavender, vetivert, and wild chamomile it aids sleep and helps you get those 8 hours that everyone tells us we need.
10. Rimmel ‘Hide The Blemish’ Concealer
- The word concealer would definitely scare a lot of gents out there and to be fair I can understand how guys might roll their eyes reading this. BUT, we all pride ourselves on our appearance and spend a fair amount of time and money on outfits, in the gym etc.. our skin is equally as important and if the dreaded red blemish appears on the day of your Tinder date or Date night, fear not as this little pen of pinkness can help – hide the blemish and it’s one less thing to worry about.
What are the products you guys like ‘borrowing’ from your other halves?